Cold air, wind and indoor heat are only three of the reasons your skin suffers in the winter. These conditions draw the moisture out of your skin, leaving it dull, dry, itchy and irritated. Additionally, certain skin conditions including dermatitis (eczema), psoriasis, and “winter itch” can develop or become aggravated in the winter. The following skin care tips can help to protect your skin this winter.
- Warm, not hot water. Hot water in the shower or bath strips your body of its natural oil barrier. You need that barrier to help trap moisture and keep your skin smooth and soft. Limit your time in the shower or bath to 5 or 10 minutes.
- Cleanse gently. Wash with a soapless cleanser when you shower. Gentle soaps, cleansing milks and mild foaming cleansers that are free of fragrance are a great option. Blot your skin dry.
- Moisturize more. Moisturizer traps water in our skin. To trap this moisture, you need to apply a moisturizer within a few minutes of drying off after showering. A moisturizer that worked great in the summer may not work as well in the winter. Creams and ointments may be more effective than lotions.
- Shave smarter. Shaving strips natural oils from your skin and can irritate dry skin. According to the American Academy of Dermatology the best time to shave is after you shower. Hairs are more pliable and softer, making shaving easier.
Dedicated to your skin
- Don’t forget your lips! The skin on the lips lack oil glands therefore they tend to get dry and cracked easily. Take special care to keep lips nourished and moisturized with a good quality lip lotion or balm.
- Protect your eyes. The sun’s rays penetrate even when it is cloudy, snowing or overcast. A good pair of sunglasses will protect both the skin around the eyes and the eye itself. Choose sunglasses that protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Cover up. Sunscreen is just as important in the winter as it is in the summer as the sun’s reflective powers (off snow and sand) are great year round. Sun damage is one of the main causes behind dry skin, wrinkles, and roughness. You can help prevent that damage by wearing broad-spectrum SPF30 sunscreen year-round and dressing right.
Overview of Products
Kuflik dermatology offers a wide variety of sunscreen brands and types to suit your individual needs. Visit our Product Gallery for more information on these great products La Roche Posay
- Intellishade by Revision