Acne is a skin condition that affects up to 80% of people in their teens and twenties, and up to 5% of older adults. While many people recover from acne without any permanent effects, some people are left with disfiguring acne scars.
Acne is a disorder that causes outbreaks of skin lesions commonly called pimples. It is caused by the skin’s oil glands making too much sebum, an oily substance, which leads to plugged pores. It also can be caused by the rapid production of a bacteria P. acnes.
Acne lesions occur mostly on the face, neck, back, chest, and shoulders. It is the most common skin disease. Although acne is not a serious health threat, severe acne can lead to disfiguring and permanent scarring.
What triggers acne in women?
Many things can trigger acne in women:
- Hormone changes during puberty. During puberty, girls have an increase in male sex hormones called androgens. This increase causes the glands to get larger and make more sebum.
- Hormone changes as an adult. The menstrual cycle is one of the most common acne triggers. Acne lesions tend to form a few days before the cycle begins and go away after the cycle is completed. Other hormone changes, such as pregnancy and menopause, improve acne in some women. But some women have worse acne during these times. Stopping use of birth control pills can play a role as well.
- Medicines. Certain medicines, such as those used to treat epilepsy and types of depression.
- Pressure or friction on the skin. Friction caused by bike helmets or backpacks can make acne worse.
- Family history. If other people in your family have acne, there is a greater chance you will have it.
How can I help prevent acne and acne scars?
You can help prevent acne flare-ups and scars by taking good care of your skin:
- Clean your skin gently with a mild soap or cleanser twice a day — once in the morning and once at night. You should also gently clean the skin after heavy exercise. Avoid strong soaps and rough scrub pads. Harsh scrubbing of the skin may make acne worse. Wash your entire face from under the jaw to the hairline and rinse thoroughly. Remove make-up gently with a mild soap and water. Ask your doctor before using an astringent.
- Wash your hair on a regular basis. If your hair is oily, you may want to wash it more often.
- Do not squeeze or pick at acne lesions. This can cause acne scars.
- Avoid getting sunburned. Many medicines used to treat acne can make you more prone to sunburn. Many people think that the sun helps acne, because the redness from sunburn may make acne lesions less visible. But, too much sun can also increase your risk of skin cancer and early aging of the skin. When you’re going to be outside, use sunscreen of at least SPF 15. Also, try to stay in the shade as much as you can.
- Choose make-up and hair care products that are “non-comedogenic” or “non-acnegenic.” These products have been made in a way that they don’t cause acne. You may also want to use products that are oil-free.
- Avoid things that rub the skin as much as you can, such as backpacks and sports equipment.
- Talk with your doctor about what treatment methods can help your acne. Take your medicines as prescribed. Be sure to tell your doctor if you think medicines you take for other health problems make your acne worse.
Treatment for Acne
- Keep clean and hands off – Sweat, dirt and environmental irritants can cause breakouts or worsen your acne. Keeping your skin clean is an important part of acne treatment.
- Be gentle – Scrubbing, rubbing and rough contact with your skin can make acne worse. When applying medicine and washing, be gentle and use your fingertips or a very soft cloth if possible.
- Be patient – Having visible acne is no fun, but it’s important to let your acne heal naturally and let the medicine do its job. Avoid the temptation to scrub, rub, pick at, pop or squeeze at your acne – it’ll take longer to heal and might make scars more likely.
Topical Acne Treatments
- Benzoyl peroxide works to reduce oil made by the glands.
- Resorcinol, salicylic acid, and sulfur help breakdown whiteheads and blackheads.
AcneWorx™ Gentle Acne Treatment Cream
Break the acne cycle with AcneWORX.
AcneWORX is a clinically proven acne treatment solution that contains 2% salicylic acid (SA), an effective medicine that can reduce or eliminate your acne pimples and prevent new ones from forming. SA helps break the acne cycle by dissolving the plug of skin and oil that clogs pores and makes pimples form.
Tough on acne, but gentle on your skin.
Many acne skin care products contain harsh organic solvents like rubbing alcohol or acetone. AcneWORX is water-based and lipid-rich. This means less irritation on your skin.
- Use AcneWORX as part of your acne treatment plan:
- Spot treatment for existing acne pimples
- Daily medication for your acne “trouble zones” to keep pores clear
- Fight emerging pimples when you feel them forming
- AcneWORX is a gentle acne treatment solution for most skin types
- Penetrates pores to eliminate most acne blemishes
- Alcohol-free Novasome® delivery system gently moisturizes your skin
- Delivers maximum strength acne medication in a gentle water-based formula
- Can be used with other acne medications – See more at: http://www.dermworx.com/acneworx#sthash.t6qmtCZc.dpuf
Treatment for Acne Scaring
Acne scarring is no longer a problem without a solution. These treatments are highly effective at eradicating acne scarring. But never forget, scarring is preventable. Don’t put off acne therapy. If you are having difficulty with acne see a dermatologist they can tell you what treatments will work best for your acne. The earlier it’s dealt with, the less likely acne scars will be in your future. Prevention is the best and most effective form of treatment.
There are two major categories of treatments used in acne scar therapy. They are the resurfacing (aka ablative) and the sublative treatment.
Ablative treatments literally remove the outer layers of the skin, burning away scar tissue and stimulating the dermal collagen to tighten, reducing the amount of scar visibility. Because the skin is injured and unprotected tissue exposed, great effort must be put into wound care and infection prevention. The skin may remain reddened for several months or a year afterwards.
Subablative treatments trigger changes within the dermis without injuring the epidermis.
Syneron’s Sublative technology is the only bi-polar fractional radiofrequency (RF) energy device proven to effectively treat acne scars. Due to its unique design, energy can now be delivered beneath the surface of the skin to maximize collagen production while preserving the top layer of the skin intact. This means patients benefit from significant results without the down time or potential complications of more aggressive treatments.
Skinhibitions™ Sublative® Acne Scar Treatment
This Sublative treatment is highly effective for acne scars, is cost friendly and has little downtime or side effects. Get better looking skin with Skinhibitions™ Sublative® Acne Scar Treatment- and get back to your life quickly! Sublative treatments place energy deep within the skin, helping to restore your natural tone and texture, and to help eradicate your acne scars. Treatments take less than an hour without the downtime of more aggressive treatments.